Friday, January 2, 2015

Reading in 2015

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, and it's a whole new year for reading! And I am ready to make 2015 my best reading year yet. Here's what I'm planning to implement into my reading life to make this year great:

Goodreads Challenge

I've participated in the Goodreads reading challenge for the last two years, and both years I've succeeded in reaching my 50 books goal. This year I'm adding to my challenge and hoping to read 55 books in 2015. I understand people's aversion to the challenge; having a goal can put pressure on reading, make it a chore, and dissuade you from reading long books. For me, however, I've decided that at this point in my life a goal like the Goodreads challenge is necessary for me to keep reading an important part of my life. While in college, it would be really easy for me to forget about reading for fun entirely because I read so much for school. While I do count my school books towards my total, it still helps motivate me to read for fun, so I'm sticking with the challenge.

The Book Riot Read Harder Challenge

The folks at Book Riot have created the Read Harder Challenge for this year, and I want to participate. It includes 24 tasks that are meant to expand your reading, and I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try to do all 24 without combining categories, which means I will read a total of 24 books for this challenge. I'm really excited to get started!

TBR Jar

I've jumped on the bandwagon and made a TBR Jar! Actually, it's a vase, because my TBR is so long. I'm hoping to read one book from the jar a month, but I reserve the right to instead use it at will when I can't decide what to read next. I'm going to start with trying to read one a month, though. And I may have to cheat a bit, because if I pick a book that I own, but it is currently at home instead of my college house and I don't have access to it I will pick another book. I think it will be a lot of fun though, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

So there we go. The ultimate goal is to read 55 books this year, and I think I can do it. I wish everyone an exciting and fulfilling reading year!

Find Me:
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8900562-rachel
Twitter: @RachelDoose
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/racheldoose/


No comments:

Post a Comment