Sunday, August 31, 2014

August Wrap-Up

August! You came and went so quickly. Here is what I read:

Mr. Wroe's Virgins by Jane Rogers

Mr. Wroe's Virgins

This is the first product-of-browsing-the-library book I've read in a looong time. On that particular library trip I decided I wanted to pick one book that was not on my TBR and try to return to the way I used to pick books, if only for a fraction of my reading. And this pick was a success! It was very interesting and beautifully written. The story surrounds a religious group, whose leader suddenly declares that he must pick seven virgins. Since Religion is one of my majors, this definitely sparked my interest. The book rotates between the perspectives of a few of the girls, and the author really did an amazing job of developing the voices of each character. The book wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it. In the end I gave it 4 stars, and I would definitely read more books by Jane Rogers.

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)

This is the third book in Harkness' All Souls Trilogy, and I think it was pretty good. The first book, A Discovery of Witches, was amazing. The second book, Shadow of Night, was pretty terrible. The Book of Life was somewhere in the middle. Because I'm attached to the characters and the story, I enjoyed it. However, the book had problems. There were a lot of things that just weren't explained properly. I gave it four stars because I did enjoy it, but the four stars were mostly for the trilogy as a whole, and my attachment to the characters.

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

Our Mutual Friend

I finally finished this beast. This book was for class, and it is not a quick read at 800 pages. This is one of those books that I didn't love, but will probably grow fond of as we discuss it in class and I do multiple research and writing assignments about it.

The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway 

The Cellist of Sarajevo

This was a very interesting read, surrounding a topic that I knew nothing about. It's one of those imagined versions of a real situation books, and I think it was done very well. This is another rotating perspective novel, and it was a fast-paced read that covers a serious topic. I gave it four stars.


What am I reading right now?

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 

The Goldfinch

This is a book I'm reading purely because of the hype. When I put it on hold at the library I didn't even know what it was about. I'm only about 60 pages in so far, but it is already pretty gripping.

Galatea 2.2 by Richard Powers

Galatea 2.2

This is a read for a different class, and at first I thought I was really going to hate it. As we get farther into the book, however, I am liking it more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment