Monday, June 30, 2014

June Wrap-Up

June is over, and I read quite a bit this month! Here are the books I read in June:

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility

My first Jane Austen! Now when I watch The Jane Austen Book Club for the 50th time I'll know what they're talking about for at least a section of the movie. I really enjoyed reading this book, and I'm glad I finally broke the ice with Miss Austen. It did drag at some points, but I think that's because I watched the movie right before I started reading it. 4 out of 5 stars.

2. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You

This book was so good. It was very sad, very original, and very addicting. If you're looking for any or all of those aspects in a book, please read this one. 5 out of 5 stars.

3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden

There are a couple of books I had as a kid that I just couldn't get into, and which I want to try to read now that I have a greater attention span. The Secret Garden is one of those books. I enjoyed the story and its message, and it's one that I'm sure I'll read to my children. It's not quite a favorite, though. 4 out of 5 stars.

4. Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day (Every Day #1)

This was an interesting read. I liked that the main character was flawed, and the original story line. Thinking about it now, though, I can't even remember how it ends. So I did enjoy it at the time (I gave it 4 out of 5 stars) but for me personally it didn't strike a particular cord.

5. The Believers by Zoe Heller

The Believers

This book was just ok for me. The pacing was a bit off, and, to put it bluntly, it felt like a poor man's White Teeth. I found the religious aspect interesting, but I just hated some of the characters, and it really didn't do anything special for me. 3 out of 5 stars.

6. My Antonia by Willa Cather

My √Āntonia

I was a bit disappointed in My Antonia, which is a bit scary to say since it's her most famous novel. Part of it may be that I picked it up at the wrong time. However, what makes me more comfortable in my assessment is that I've read Cather before. I read O, Pioneers! at the end of last year and absolutely loved it. It was a 5 star read for me. My Antonia, however, was a bit boring, and I didn't like the main character Jim. 3 out of 5 stars.

7. The Bear by Claire Cameron

The Bear

I couldn't decide if this was a 3 or 4 star book, and I'm still wavering. I ended up giving it 4. It was very compelling, and I read it in two days. I didn't love it, but I think it's worth a read.

I am currently reading My Age of Anxiety by Scott Stossel, which so far is a very interesting nonfiction read, especially for someone who suffers from anxiety. After that I think I will move on to Lisey's Story by Stephen King. 

I hope June was a great month for everyone, and that July holds some great reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment